Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sudwerk - Märzen

Since I don't drink much lager (bottom fermented beer) this will be a different tasting. The Sudwerk brewery in Davis, California has recently introduced 4 of their beers on my home market. The first one I tried was their Hefe Weissbier which I think is maybe the best American clone of the real Hefe Weissbier from Southern Germany (Bavaria) that I have had with Flying dog breweries version coming in at a second place. (A test of that beer will soon come to this website). Just because I was so pleased with their Hefe weissbier (which is an ale) I decided to also try their Märzen. Märzen is a beerstyle brewed in the spring in Germany and when it is saved for the fall in becomes 'October fest bier'. They also have a Pilsner and a Lager and even if these beer styles does not attract me as much as they used to, I will do an exception and try them. I will probably wait for a true hot summer day though when these type of beers taste best to drink.

A rainy gloomy day like this is on the other hand is perfect for a Märzen.

APPEARANCE: (4) Thick creamy head which settles nicely. Amber clear color.

AROMA: (3) Malty aroma.

TASTE: (4) Rich full flavored lager. Little bit of sweetness on the palate.

EXTRA: (3) I like the way they market their different beers. The labels remain almost the same but they use different colors depending on the beer style. The Märzen is red, the Hefe Weissbier yellow, the lager and pilsner beige and green.

I really like this beer but it will not show that way through the points given. The aroma is not really strong which is not expected either for this type of beer. The taste is really nice but not exceptional. I wish that I could give more points but this is what it ends up with. It is really a nice session beer though.



Sudwerks website


Beer style: Märzen (a bottom fermented lager style beer)
Serving temperature: x-x C
Alcohol: 5.70%

Food Pairings: Good session beer. Meat dishes. Fairly versatile with any kind of food.

APPEARANCE: 4 x 5 = 20
AROMA: 3 x 10 = 30
TASTE: 4 x 10 = 40
EXTRA: 3 x 1 = 3

Total: 93/130

No comments:

Post a Comment