Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Beast - Avery Brewing

Last out tonight is a heavy weight champion from Avery brewing, The Beast. The last time I tested this beer, I tried it together with Gorgonzola on ginger snaps and since that was altogether one of my best tasting sensations, I am going to stick with that but this time only have the Gorgonzola with the beer.

APPEARANCE: (4) Intriguing dark reddish brown color. Flat rather light foam when pouring, The foam get richer when the testing glass is twirled.

AROMA: (5) A total plethora of aromas. Where could one even start? There are bananas, figs, plums, molasses, cedar, sherry....

TASTE: (5) This is a time when I wish that I could temporarily increase the scoring for taste because this is a treat. This is a 6 out of 5 in taste. With the Gorgonzola the taste sensation increases but maybe the ginger bread should be there to accommodate the sweetness better?

With a piece of Gorgonzola on top of a ginger snap, the Beast totally surrenders and turns into a Feast. This is truly one of the best drink-food combinations that I can think of. This is divine.

EXTRA: (5) Avery makes some of the finest beers in the world. This is from their "demon" series of beers. It is elegant and completely seductive.


Beer style: Belgian Grand Cru
Serving temperature: 10-12 C
Alcohol: 16.21%

Food Pairings: According to Avery brewings website: "Pineapple upside down cake pairs nicely with the sweet, rum-like flavors found in our Beast Grand Cru."

I think this beer is great with a strong cheese like Gorgonzola and don't forget to put in on a ginger snap. Preferable the 'Lars owns'-brand.




APPEARANCE: 4 x 5 = 20
AROMA: 5 x 10 = 50
TASTE: 5 x 10 = 50
EXTRA: 5 x 1 = 5
BONUS: 1 x 5 = 5

Total: 130/130

With this beer I realize that I have to install the 'Bonus' judgment. This beer does not get full 'Appearance' points but it still is one of the best beers in the world so it should be up there on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment