Saturday, May 14, 2011

Midas touch - Dogfish head brewing

King Midas according to the Greek mythologgy would turn everything he touched into gold. Dogfish head has this to say on their website about this beer: "This recipe is the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! It is an ancient Turkish recipe using the original ingredients from the 2700 year old drinking vessels discovered in the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine & mead; this smooth, sweet, yet dry ale will please the Chardonnay of beer drinker alike."

APPEARANCE: (3) Airy foam. Light colored, lighter than gold.

AROMA: (4) Intriguing aromas from peach and honey. I think that I also can find traces of cognac in the scents.

TASTE: (4) Very surprising taste. It is sweet which was expected but there is a taste which brings me back to the first time that I ever tried beer. A taste sensation that I haven't had since long time. It is not as 'different' in the taste as I expected. It reminds me of an almost non alcoholic malt drink which is served around Christmas in Sweden called "Svagdricka" (Literally 'Weak drink') even if this is much lighter in color. It also reminds me of 'Busgrogg', the habit of mixing beer with a soft drink similar to Mountain dew.

EXTRA: (5) One of the most surprisingly tasting beers that I have had and as always a very interesting beer from the most innovative brewery in the world(?)


Beer style: Ale with additives
Serving temperature: 10 C
Alcohol: 9.0%

Food Pairings: According to Dogfish heads website: "Pan-Asian dishes, risotto, curries, baked fish and chicken "

APPEARANCE: 3 x 5 = 15
AROMA: 4 x 10 = 40
TASTE: 4 x 10 = 40
EXTRA: 5 x 1 = 5

Total: 100/130

No comments:

Post a Comment