Friday, February 18, 2011

Tahoe Blue - Nevada Pale Ale (Joseph James Brewing Co)

I have to admit that I don't know much about this 'brewing company'. I have tested a few of their products earlier without being either impressed or surprised. I suspect this is one of the examples of industrial brews which are marketed as 'craft brews'.

When I pour it into my testing glass a thick foam builds up. The beer is not clear but rather hazy and I guess that it could be called copper colored if it wasn't so cloudy. The foam is shallow not compact and will probably die rather fast but since it built up so strong from pouring it from the bottle it last longer than many beers. APPEARANCE (2)

There was a rather rich scent of hops coming from the pouring and when I sniff the beer it has a nice hop aroma even if it is relatively weak. AROMA (2)

The TASTE (2) is somewhat raw with a not so pleasant sharp bitterness. Tasting the beer does not add anything to the aroma. It has almost a little unpleasant smoky flavor like cigarettes in an ashtray.

I have nothing EXTRA to give for this beer. The label is ugly, the bottle is plain and the brewer is suspicious (industrial beer disguised as craft brew) (1)



Joseph James Brewings website

Beer style: Pale Ale
Serving temperature: 10C/50F (my recommendation is to serve it colder since it doesn't benefit from more display of it's flavor or aroma.
Alcohol: 6.0%
Food Pairings: Peanuts.

APPEARANCE: 2 x 5 = 10
AROMA: 2 x 10 = 20
TASTE: 2 x 10 = 20
EXTRA: 1 x 1 = 1

Total: 51/130

No comments:

Post a Comment