Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Humboldt Brown - Nectar ales

I am excited because I am down to the last 3 beers in the beer basket that my wife gave me for Valentines and that is also what gave this blog it's name.

I saved the ones for last that sounded most interesting so the expectations are high which is never good when you are judging something.

First out is Humboldt Brown from a brewery that I never before have heard of called Nectar ales. The thing that is so interesting with this beer is that I never heard of a beer that is brewed with hemp and I have no idea what hemp taste like.

APPEARANCE: (3) A very distinct brown color. Nice dense foam which builds up to a creamy head with some twirls of the glass.

AROMA: (4) Nutty aroma that are present even upon pouring. Sweet maltiness with frail scents of vanilla.

TASTE: (4) Good balance between the malt and hops provides a very drinkable brown ale with character. There is a little bit of smokiness in the aftertaste. This beer is very likable and is a perfect session beer. It is not extreme in any way but feels just right in it's perfect balance.

EXTRA: (5) Just the fact that this is the first beer that I ever have had with hemp renders a 5 in extra. Otherwise is the label and website very informative with most information needed for a beer nerd.





Nectar Ales Website


Beer style: Brown ale
Serving temperature: 10-12 C
Alcohol: 5.7%

Hops: Chinook & Tettnanger
Malt: Wheat Malt, Crystal 75, Crystal 120, Chocolate Malt & Toasted Hemp Seeds

Food Pairings: Smoked meat and also smoked fish feel like a good pairing with this mellow very nice drinkable beer.


APPEARANCE: 3 x 5 = 15
AROMA: 4 x 10 = 40
TASTE: 4 x 10 = 40
EXTRA: 5 x 1 = 5

Total: 100/130

No comments:

Post a Comment